Monday, March 10, 2014

Modified extended day allows for both 1:1 and 2:1 instruction

I teach fourth grade. My district has a weird/awesome daily schedule. Half of my class shows up at 8, the rest of them show up at 9:15. That gives me an hour and fifteen minutes to start my day off with "small group time." I generally teach literacy during this block of time. At 2:15 the kids that showed up at 8 go home, and I have another block of small group time with the group that showed up at 9:15. So I end my day the same way I started it, small group literacy.

During small group time I have enough Chromebooks to to 1:1. During the rest of the day I have enough for 2:1. I'm a fan of the model.


Our weird/awesome daily schedule


With this model I have a small group everyday to start and end the day. There is research that shows that a 2:1 model is best, and there is research that supports a 1:1 model. I see the benefit with both models. During my day, I get the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment