Monday, March 10, 2014

Adapting literature circles to use Chromebooks in a digital learning community

During my literacy instruction, I have Chromebooks in my classroom at a ratio of 1:1. I've been able to do some pretty awesome things during this time.

So one of the things I did before Chromebooks, was literature circles. There are many different ways literature circles are run. In the past three years I've learned that the just because we both say "literature circle" does not mean we are talking about the same thing. So, I'll give you a quick rundown of what I mean by "literature circle."

Before Chromebooks:
I gave a group of six students six different jobs to complete while reading a reading group assignment. Each job was connected to a different reading strategy, and corresponded to graphic organizers that I had printed up at the beginning of the year. We may have read a bit together, depending on the students' level and need. Then they'd complete their assignment independently (or with a little help, again depending on the students' level and need). Then, when they were completed with their assignment, they would join me and share their assignment with the group. After everyone had shared, they'd get a new job, and a new reading assignment. The next day, or the following day they would meet again.

With Chromebooks:
Now students read the same books, and complete the same assignments. I have modified the task with the Chromebooks, and I'm super excited about it.

I've created a simple shared document that all of the students in a group can access. (I've used folders to organize that, more on that on another post). The students complete their assignment in the digital graphic organizer instead of the reams and reams of paper I used to use.

Here's what the graphic organizers look like. Keep in mind this is a working document, and I haven't solidified these jobs just yet. Feel free to copy it, steal it, modify it, and even pass it off as your own. I just ask that if you like it or hate it, you give feedback in the comments or Google+. I'd love to hear what could be improved on.

Why this is awesome:
1. So I didn't expect to see some of these results. Before students would do (or wouldn't do) their jobs and come back and share. Nobody was terribly interested in how anybody else did their jobs. Now everybody cares what picture somebody else drew. Now everybody already knows what Billy wrote, and wants to talk a little about it. And if they are that excited about it, they've already had a conversation about it in the comments. They come back totally excited to share something that their whole group has already seen. Also, because their group is going to see what they type, they do their best work. I've been amazed at how excited they've gotten over this activity.

2. I can look at the folder and know exactly where each group is.

My Google Drive Reading Groups Folder
When they group is done, they change the title to tell me if they'r ready or not. I just pulled this up. Looks like I'm going to meet with the group reading Socks, and You be the Detective. Magic Pickle and Dear Mr. Henshaw both need a little more time to finish up.

More than that, I can open up these four documents and watch as they answer the questions. If there is a student that needs support, I can go to that group and find out how much progress the student has made.

I can be in 10 different places at once. Even when I'm meeting with a group, I can flip through my tabs really quickly to see how each group is doing, if they need help, or a little motivation.
My tabs during literature circle instruction

3. This can be an ongoing use of the Chromebooks. When students are finished, they look through their peers' work and leave meaningful comments, or at least... comments. This is a use of the Chromebooks that isn't just one neat flashy activity. This can be something that is done regularly.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I will post again if we try it and let you know how it goes1

    ReplyDelete